Many materials can be as medium for planting button mushroom, generally use of agriculture waste. The media usually mixed from much agriculture waste, such as rice straw, leaf stem of tobacco, sawdust, cereal, waste tea leaf, waste of cotton, and bananas leaf.
Criteria of this medium are beside good for mycelium grown also must cheap and available. For laboratory scale usually use bulk cereal like sorghum, rice, grist or rye as growing medium of mains seed of mushroom, and agriculture waste as media for seed of ready to plant.
Place the media to grow
The place of media to grow may vary, the important thing is this place is not broken when sterilize, the place must be completed with cover. Many kind of bottle and thick plastic tube can use to place this medium. The size measure of bottle or place this about 500 cc until 1000 cc. If too big can complicate when sterilize.
Main seed is seed that used as inoculums for seed that ready to plant. The procedures on producing main seed are as follows:
- Wash cleanly the seed from growth medium, such as rye, sorghum, or rice), then soak for 24 hours. Throw away the dead seed that float on the water.
- Braise the seed until a little swelling (about 10 to 15 minutes)
- Leak water from the seed.
- Put into the bottle or plastic with cup. Close with compacted cotton.
- Sterilize the medium on autoclave at 15 psi for about 1 to 2 hours.
- Let the medium cold before inoculums with mycelium from pure seed.
- Inoculums of mycelium are place mycelium slice from agar medium into the seed medium.