- 1 and 1/2 pounds firm tomatoes - skinned and roughly chopped
- 1 onion - peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic (I use more) - crushed
- 2 ounces melted butter
- 1/2 - 1 pint of beef stock
- Baking soda
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Caster Sugar (very fine sugar, also known as powdered sugar)
- 1/4 pint double cream
First to be prepared is washed every spices that will use on this recipe. Melt the butter in a heavy based pan and fry onion and garlic until soft and transparent. Add 1/2 pint of stock together with chopped tomatoes and generous pinch of baking soda. Bring to boil, lower heat and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Allow to cool slightly before melting. Return to pan through sieve. Re-heat adding stock until of desired consistency. In a separate pan bring cream almost to the boil and then add to soup. Garnish with fresh chopped basil or parsley.
It is really delicious, and can be frozen, provided that you don't add the cream or milk, do this just before serving. The Baking Soda is what makes the difference - without it just doesn't taste right.